Thursday, December 15, 2005

Interpreting the Signs

Today I opened my window and saw a bird with very long wings flying about ten meters away from my spot. It must have been a proud and dangerous eagle. Then I turned my head to the north and saw a colorful butterfly flying in a nervous rythm. She also had very long wings with black and orange colors. At that moment many thoughts passed instantly through my mind and developed. Isnt this an impressive quality of the human brain/mind to be able to perceive and process thoughts and whole series of mental relations by merely thinking in images in such a short period of time? It is a process that strongly reminds me of the way the computer functions. A single function might take an hour to explain but can be performed in less than a second. To return to the thoughts which took place at the same time:
Thought 1:
I thought butterflies exist only in the summer, how strange that she is still alive. Or maybe she was just born today, a day that pretty much reminds a summer one with this heat and sun.

Thought 2:
I wonder if she is of a rare species any crazy scientist would like to have. Or a crazy collector would want her dead. How cruel.

Thought 3: But I have been cruel too when I was a kid. I havent forgotten how I had developed a whole technique for hunting butterflies with my bare hands. I would aproach them silently from behind and catch their wings folded together. I didnt kill them but sometimes they werent able to fly afterwards. They used to leave on my fingers a dust with colors.

Thought Parallel to 1: I wonder what it means to see a butterfly. According to the Alchemist of Paolo Cohelo, the signs of nature can be interpreted. What is this sign trying to tell me?

Thought Parallel to 2:The butterfly is beautiful. Should I value beauty more? But butterflies live for such a short time, so beauty is mortal. Is that what nature is trying to tell me?

Thought Parallel to 3: Then again, the butterfly is extremely playful. Maybe todays lesson is to be more playful with people. Or is it trying to show me that I am being too playful and should at last get serious?


Now I realise that this whole process of trying to interprete something is useless. There are just too many possibilities in this world. I must have wasted my time thinking all this and even analyzing it.

No comments: