Sunday, December 18, 2005

To celebrate or not to celebrate?

Doh! I should be celebrating, jumbing up and down out of joy right now because I got accepted in the open university of greece for Computer Science. I am among the 1000 lucky ones that got accepted. But instead, I am staring at the subjects, looking at the contents of the books over and over again, hoping that if I look too hard, the nightmare of mathematics might even disapear from the papers.

Oh no, there are 12 sections of subjects that I have to pass and 3 of them are related to very very very very very difficult and high mathematics. The rest of the subjects are extremely interesting and I am going to study with great interest, such as, programming languages (C, Java, pascal), databases, operating systems, artificial intelligence, networks, computer and network security, internet. But mathematics??? Why? It is not enough that the studies are already extremely, and at times unnecessarily, theory orientated? After all this should be about computers and not about learning to lecture on computers, these maths are just going to kill me.

Unless I kill them first!

So in my old age, I decided to learn all the mathematics that I had DELIBERATELY skipped and never learned at school. Why should I learn maths and chemistry when philosophy and psychology played an equal role in the final grade for passing the class? After all I couldnt study everything at school.. who studies everything at school anyway??? :)) I studied only to get grades and after that all knowledge was erased from my memory... This was something the system encouraged.

But now I need the knowledge no matter what... !?!$#****!?!$# (cencored).

At least I have 7 months to do some preparation, get a maths teacher and start learning...

Uff!

4 comments:

Indeterminacy said...

I studied computer science in America back in the 80's. There were some complex math subjects that had to be taken, linear and vector algebra, calculus, and probability. I think it will help you to get used to abstract notation and logical algorithms you often find in programming languages. On a thematic level, math and programming have a lot in common. For example, vector algebra is often used to implement motion graphics you find in computer games. If you know the math, you'll be able to understand and program complex projects.

(I got lucky during my studies, because my minor psychology also required some statistic credits, but I didn't have to take that because of the more complex math I took for CS. In the end I was able to earn a double major).

I never understood much of the theorsy behind the math, I just learned the algorithms, and I did OK. I found the theory boring and hard to understand.

Indeterminacy said...

I forgot to say the most important thing: Congratulations!

admin said...

Thanks!!!

I am extremely happy about this and extremely terrified on the other hand.

I am giving up the chance to study english literature in england for the computer studies. I might even regret this, but the challenge is too tempting with CS. I hope the passion I developed for the computers will be the drive and help me go through the mathematics.

Its so cool that you have studied CS and psychology as well. This explains much :)). So maybe we will be collegues if I manage to graduate ;).

Programming (although interesting) doesnt fascinate me as much as administrating and creating networks. My wildest dream: to be an IT security advisor.

admin said...

Thank you Minstrel! Yes! Actually I admire people who know maths! And I really wish to learn. I have a lot of time to study, I hope everything works out.