Saturday, January 21, 2006

Seeking the Secrets of Great Writing

Dear Indie,

How come the ones who didnt guess it get a diploma as well? :))

Thanks for revealing us this secret. I have often wondered what is better to do: write what comes to ones mind or plan every detail of the plot etc

In compositions at school I used to plan what each paragraph would be about. My teacher told me she could see that. She shared with me that she wrote instantly, which often made her wander away from the subject a bit. But her writing was more lively and mine was dry. She was an amazing and gifted person.

Unfortunately at school we didnt write any stories. But I got to write them during english class! Finally a place where fun and homework met. Most of the stories "wrote themself". But there was a trick. We were given 2 restrictions:
1. The composition had to be about 350 words and
2. "write a composition that ends with the words (...)".

And that was magic.

I suppose kids can write like that. We adults have to try to get in touch with our subconsciousness. Testing 1.. testing 2.. testing 3 and maybe catch a channel! :))

Another secret you revealed to us is that reading great stories teaches us unconsciously to write greately through the instict. Especially if one is trying to write in a foreign language, reading is the most important thing. I am guilty I know, I read "only" indeterminacy!

Trying to write something good has been bothering me the past year more than ever. I am seeking for a great plot since a year and I have not grasped the perfect idea. Is that too much to ask? :)) Lately I have started to watch films that resemble the style I want to write and analyze their structure and plot. The number of characters, their relations, how the are entangled in the story, the number of deaths, the happy moments, the sad moments, the drama. Thats a lot of work.. and I see no other way to go about it. The details of the plot have to be complicated and the way the heroes interfere with each other has to be planned extremely carefully. Of course films and books are very different in various ways. How can you describe in words the way an actor or the imagined hero raises his hand and waves it in front of his face in a certain way, in a certain time and space? How can you describe that the director has thrown light on half the face of the actor and plays an intimidating music to illustrate mystery and fear? Decent writing just have to be a matter of technique I believe. Great writing, on the other hand, must be a combination of technique and the touch of a god or a muse.

PS: Blog is still in away status but I had to write that!

4 comments:

Indeterminacy said...

You get a diploma because there's no absolute truth, and analyzing a piece of good writing as you alluded to, is just as good an idea. (I had hoped someone would mention that aspect). Also, anyone who reads my blog must be a genius ;-)

I've wondered about these same things - I think we wrote about this to each other long ago. I used to think that to write something you have to work out a perfect roadmap, and then follow it in every detail. Then I took this writing class to improve my German (1995), and the instructor (Jochen Schimmang, an established author) told us that that is the one thing you should not do. If an author is good, there will always be more in the story than he/she intended. Then I went home and tried to write a completely random story - I brought it the next class and he said it was "sehr schön." I'll send you the story and you can tell me what you think.

admin said...

Would it be a silly idea to suggest diplomas in the form of small banners?

Certified indeterminacer.

:D

Or
Certified Indesychroner.. Synchronizer? In-synch fan? Member of the Indie Clan?

*just kidding* :P

Corsarius said...

can relate. yes, that's true -- writing in a second language is really a big hurdle.

when's your blog coming out of "away" status? :D

admin said...

Corsarius:
:) hi there! Tonight or tomorrow I ll set it back in normal mode. My hands are a bit better now and I have things to blog!