Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Windows Updates, Svchost.exe and ATI drivers

I got an email the other day by a friend describing a flaw of the automatic updates system of windows xp. To him it was a flaw, to me it sounded perfectly normal! A flaw as a normal part of windows? Well, sort of. I used to think that this was a problem related to my dial-up internet connection. An assumption that is proved wrong, as this problem is reported also in computers with an ADSL internet connection.

Maybe that computer was also missing an important windows update that is needed to download all newer security updates.

"I think windows update has a flaw. I know that last week there was a security update out, and that automatic update thing would appear after I went into internet, but then would disappear without downloading anything.

I went into the manual update "Help and support" and tried and it said I needed an updated installer/update checker or something. After I downloaded
that, I could get the actual updates (3 of them). "

The automatic updates is turned off in my computer because I want to have control over the time and amount of updates to be downloaded. There is also an issue with a process of windows called svchost.exe. I noticed that it was connected to the internet and was tranferring information but I could not locate which program was using it. I know that the automatic updates needs that process but in my opinion it is connected out also when it does not download anything. That is why I have blocked this process with the firewall and use the manual updates instead. I just saw it far too many times contacting the internet and tranferring bytes and yet I was in the weak position of not knowing what and where is being transmitted. So, no more svchost.exe for me.

Another problem with the svchost.exe that I have found is that there are many programs and drivers that like to make use of it. For example ATI graphic card drivers. Even after having blocked it, svchost.exe contacts the internet through the ATI drivers! This is insane but it is really true and the reason why I prefer to use the win xp sp2 default graphic drivers instead of the ATI ones.

No comments: