Monday, March 06, 2006

The Clean Monday in Greece

Today was the "Clean Monday" or "Ashmonday" as it was known among the older generations. The Clean Monday is the monday after the fourth and final carneval sunday. It signifies the beginning of the 40-day period of fasting. On the 41th day it should be Easter Sunday. That is why women used to clean all their kitchen stuff on that day using ashes because they thought this purifies them from the meat. The christian orthodox fasting is a very interesting one and has a set of rules about what one is allowed to eat and what not. For example olives are allowed but olive oil not. Meat is not allowed but fish is. On Clean Monday people go out on the countryside and have picnicks with the traditional bread made for that day especially called "Lagana". Its a flat white bread. We also eat a lot of halvas on that day (a sweet out of sesame cream and sugar or honey). The funniest part is that kids get to fly kites through the air. So you can imagine that the greek sky is full of kites on every Clean Monday. I am not sure how this custom was established. This year the weather was very bad here unfortunately, we had very strong winds blowing that prevented most people to go out. I have a Pocahontas kite resting on the wall of my room from last years Clean Monday. I didnt get to fly it this year again. #$%$!

4 comments:

Indeterminacy said...

Your post about fasting made me VERY HUNGRY!

admin said...

:)) There was this book that made me CRAVE for food each time I read it. Tolkien in Lord of the Rings describes the eating habits of the hobbits with great detail. The hobbits had a very healthy attitude towards food, they really enjoyed it , talked a lot about it and ate several times a day. Whenever I read this book I realise the importance of eating.

I am happy when I eat very little and this happens when I spent so much time online (internet is for me the best way to loose weight!). But I enjoy the idea of pleasure in food. Pleasure is all in the mind.

Indeterminacy said...

I found a wonderful children's book called "The Magic Pudding" written by an Australian (by Norman Lindsey) about a hundred years ago. It's virtually unknown in America. But it's about a magic pudding that you can eat and eat and it's never gone.

The German translation was "Der Zauberpudding", and it's on of the few translations that I think is as good as the original, better in parts. Found it at a flea market! And the English version was found later in E-bay.

admin said...

:) Children books are sometimes amazingly written. When I was 17 in germany I read "Die Kleine Hexe" which was ok.

I know of one amazing childrens book called "Tistu the green-fingered" by a french guy who was a university professor I think, and wrote many books. I will search for his name.