Thursday, March 02, 2006

My Dog Phobia and its exceptions

I have always been afraid of dogs. I dont know why but they invoke an inexplicable fear in me. In our city there used to wander around (and still do) many stray dogs. When I was young whenever I saw one I changed my path. Once at a friends place, she told me to pet her dog. A dog that seemed very fierce and was barking all the time. I didnt want to but she said she will even hold his mouth. I reluctantly approached to slowly touch his head and woof!! the dog got away and tore my shirt apart! Luckily and due to my fast ballet abilities he didnt get to really bite me.

The first dog that won my heart was the dog of my uncle who was living next to us in the summer. It was a beautiful big black dog, woolf-like, like the ones that they use in the police force. What a clever dog he was! His name was Rex. I liked him but my phobia never let me touch him. But I knew he wouldnt hurt me, his eyes were very friendly. Once I was sitting around the place he was and wanted to give him something. I went home and got a piece of food. I returned but didnt know how to give it to him since I couldnt approach. So I was holding my hand very high above my head with the food in it until I decide what to do. Suddely the dog jumbed so high! took the food out of my hand without biting me! That was really amazing. Why cant I trust these animals that seem to be able of having good intentions as well?

The next dog I loved was a very small black one who showed up on the beach on day. She had no home, was beautiful and followed me home where I gave her soup! Since we couldnt keep dogs, my aunt took her home. I think I even touched that dog.

Those were two exceptions of the only dogs I have liked.

When I went to germany to study, I thought that country is the paradise of those afraid of dogs. No matter where you look, no stray dogs! None! Can you imagine how it feels to walk around in a city without any fear? Unfortunately there were other "stray" things to be afraid of which we didnt have in Greece, like drunk people in the train station and drug addicts. But thats another story.

A few weeks ago a black dog showed up at our home, we tried to sent him away but he always comes everyday. At one point I gave him some food because I though its a pity. He was so weak. And I am in a great dillema now. Everytime I return home he is there outside the door and I cant get into the house due to my phobia. He thinks he must come near me. And I dont want that. And I cant send him away or let him starve. The only temporary solution I have is the broomstick... Today a friend just went to him and kicked him away! So that I can go into the house! And then the dog tried to run to me! And he cryied. I am very disturbed and havent got the slightest idea what to do with this matter.

4 comments:

Indeterminacy said...

I was wondering how this piece would sound if it were about boys and not dogs.

I'm more afraid of cats. With Germany it's not completely true about dogs. There are no strays (in Poland they are everywhere), but many places don't have leash laws. In Hamburg they finally do, because of some tragic pit bull incidents in which children were attacked or maimed. But Germans really stand up vehemently for the "rights" of their pets.

admin said...

Hahaha!!! I just read it placing "boys" instead of "dogs".

Funny, I am not afraid of cats at all. I remember about those tragic incidents with the fighting dogs. It was on the news. One thing I will never understand is the german belief that humans should live close to animals. Or that animals should be treated as something more superior than humans. I dont have anything against animals.. I just dont want them near me :P.

Indeterminacy said...

I did the same, reading it as boys instead of dogs. It was highly entertaining.

But that is so sad at the end. I do think the dog likes you. I hope you find a way to get close to the dog. Why not play fetch with it, through a stick and let him retrieve it for you. The process of running away and approaching might get you used to having him near. (e.g. successive desensitization) (have you tried searching the Internet for infos on overcoming dog phobias?)

admin said...

GREAT IDEA!! I ll play fetch the stick with him and as he runs away to fetch it I ll run into the house :)) :)) :))

Ok I ll search for information on the dog phobia. Not very optimistic but its worth the try.